Thursday, May 27, 2010

Moon’s Portrait Painting

“He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart.”
~ Unknown ~

Moon has been a member of my family going on 6 years.  We rescued him when he was a wee pup at 12 weeks of age through a Lab rescue organization on Petfinder.com.

It was a very cold winter night when I made arrangements to receive Moon at a drop off point in Newburgh, NY.  Moon was transported via a rental Penske truck from down South although exactly where is uncertain.  I remember waiting in a hotel parking lot where the caregivers would spend the night.  Apparently, they made the run with dogs in tow clear up to Maine.  I waited about an hour until the truck finally arrived.  I must have wanted my new puppy very much to wait in the cold, dead of night.  Finally, the truck arrived and I signed off on the paperwork and handed over the donation fee.  When they placed him in my arms, he licked my face.  Although he is our family dog, he is my baby.

The moon was full the night I adopted him.  It was a comfort seeing the big yellow Moon hanging in the night sky.  As I made the drive back home, I decided to call my new pup, Moon.  It seemed right and very different.   I like unique names and nothing else seemed to fit him.  He is a yellow Lab and the Moon appeared yellow against the black sky.  It was a match made in heaven.

Moon is a very sweet boy.  He is super affectionate, loves to snuggle and has a wicked intelligence.  We affectionately call him “little guy”.  Moon is little, big brother to our German Shepherd dog, Sirius who is only 16 months old.  Although Moon is smaller, he definitely knows how to show Sirius who is top dog.

MoonPaintingResized

I was finally able to finish the painting today.  It took 3 days to complete it.  I created the painting working from a photo using layers of acrylic paint on 9 x 12 inch canvas.  The finishing touch is to apply the varnish sealer to it.  After letting it cure for a week or so, it will be ready for framing.  I can’t wait.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for pulling up to my blog and leaving your comments. It means a lot to me.

Namaste

Practical Artful Gifts

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Endangered Species Artwork

My Dogs