Monday, April 12, 2010

Digging Geekery

"Often, we are too slow to recognize how much and in what ways we can assist each other through sharing such expertise and knowledge." ~ Owen Arthur, Prime Minster of Barbados ~

I love quotes and find I'm using them more simply because it sums up eloquently what I want to share in a post.

I am by far no expert when it comes to coding.  My approarch is either asking my dear hubby who has a wealth of knowledge or wading through mirky waters trying to figure it out on my own. Finding the answer myself is the most rewarding and when I do, I often feel giddy about it.  It's like "ha", I did it kind of moment.  When that happens, I want to share it with others because I can relate to the frurstation of trying to get technology to work for us and do the job it was intended.  Having a base of knowledge helps.  I think I eluded to the fact in previous posts, my background is in corporate training.  I mean, at the very least, I hold a degree in it.  Although I never put the degree to direct use, I use my knowledge in other creative ways.

Today, I added a DIGG voting tool for my blog posts.  I hope you will vote on my posts now that it's available.  Just click on it and in a few short steps, the post is added to the index.  If you have a blog and want to add the DIGG gadget, it's very simple once you know how.  Following are the steps to get it to work for your blog.  I just want to mention, the coding should work in any blog platform that uses html.

Go to where you can edit the html in your dashboard.  The first thing you want to do, is back up your current template.  Where it says, "donwload full template", click on it and name whatever you like.  After you've backed up the template, click on the "expand widget templates".  Search for the following code:

<data:post.body/>

I use Windows and Ctrl 'F' will bring up the search bar making it easy to find the code right away. I thiink on a MAC, it's CMD 'F'.  Just copy/paste the code into the search bar.  Once you locate the code, you will need to add in the next piece of code above the previous code:

<!-- DIGG -->
<div style='float:right; padding: 3px;'>
<script type='text/javascript'>
digg_url = '<data:post.url/>';
</script>
<script src='http://digg.com/tools/diggthis.js' type='text/javascript'/>
</div>
<!-- DIGG -->

Preview your blog and it should have the DIGG voting button next to each of your blog posts.  If you like this post, please DIGG it.  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for pulling up to my blog and leaving your comments. It means a lot to me.

Namaste

Practical Artful Gifts

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Endangered Species Artwork

My Dogs