Thursday, March 18, 2010

Little Journal

One must learn by doing the thing, for though you think you know it, you have no certainty until you try.  ~ Aristotle



I've taken an interest in bookcrafting.  This is the 2nd art journal I've made using a different techinque.  It's done with mixed media where I used stamping and collage on archival card stock paper.  It's a small book that fits in the palm of the hand.




It's very cute and semi functional.  I made the book with book board and binding screws.  It makes the book very sturdy but also rigid.  The front cover opens about half way.  It has a secretive feeling to it like when a kid uses their arm to cover up their work in school.  At least, that's what comes to mind.  I imagine it would be great if you wanted to jot down notes to self or sketch something while obstructing the view from onlookers.  Inside, I used sketching paper cut to size.

At this stage, I'm experimenting with the craft trying out different techniques.  Mostly, I'm having fun learning something new.   Book binding is an art form which there are many different methods from simple to complex.  The artist is only limited by the extent of their imagination.




www.OffTheCuffArt.com
www.BarbaraGiordanoArt.Etsy.com
www.SunfluersJewelryDesigns.com
www.Zazzle.com/Sunfluer
http://SunfluerDesigns.Imagekind.com

2 comments:

  1. Hi Barbara, Have enjoyed discovering your blog. I heard an old interview with Garrison Keillor this week and one of the things he said was that silence is a great stimulant for people with imagination. I know, for myself, that I need a lot of silence - and think that for many creative people this is an important ingredient to their day. And yet, there are times that I love music or story to paint by. How about you?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Becky, thanks for visiting my blog and leaving your thoughts here.

    I agree with Keillor in that I spend a great deal of time reflecting on my art projects. Silence for me, helps to spark creative ideas. Although, I do spend much time doing research as well. When I'm painting, I enjoy listening to music from classical to alternative rock. My artwork as well as my taste in music is eclectic.

    What type of music helps with your creative flow? I've read that tempo effects how we create. Do you agree?

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for pulling up to my blog and leaving your comments. It means a lot to me.

Namaste

Practical Artful Gifts

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Endangered Species Artwork

My Dogs