Sunday, May 17, 2009
Sirius Is Feeling Better
Sirius is 14 weeks old. He's coming along with his house and basic training, can be very sweet and determined. My yellow dog, Moon and Sirius have bonded. It's a joy to see them play together.
The 2ND visit to the vet last week, and one bath later to remove the Frontline, he's not having seizure episodes. We're hoping the seizures were reactive to chemical(s) introduced into his system. At the very least, these are things we can control. We still do not know for sure what caused the seizures. If it was one chemical or a combination of chemicals.
After talking with the breeder, we came very close to returning Sirius due to health concerns. We put a lot of time and emotions into our new puppy and of course, we've grown attached to him. Our contract allows up to 6 months from the day of purchase to return him for dire health reasons. We decided to bring Sirius to a new veterinarian for a 2ND opinion. An initial blood test show a slight, low level liver analysis. At this point, we need to do a fasting blood to see if there are any liver functioning problems. If there are problems with the liver such as a shunt, that would explain the seizures. (For information on canine liver shunts: http://www.dog-health-guide.org/caninelivershunt.html).
The breeder did share with me another puppy from the litter was also having seizures. It's a male pup. Again, the breeder thinks Frontline caused the seizure. I'm very concerned this is an inherent weakness. Sirius had the first seizure within 3 hours of getting the booster distemper combo and 1st Lyme vaccines. The Frontline was applied the day before the vet visit. Again, it could have been "reactive" seizures (http://www.vetinfo.com/dogseizure.html) from a "chemical storm" hitting my pups system. And, none of this is reassuring for me. I'm trying to understand it so I can make better decisions for my puppy.
The new vet doesn't recommend Lyme vaccines which is one that Sirius received prior to the 1st seizure. The approach for Sirius in the future will be very conservative with the minimal amount of vaccines. In fact, after all the initial vaccines are given to our dogs, antibodies titers (http://www.canine-epilepsy-guardian-angels.com/titer_test.htm) should be ordered before additional innoculations. It is never a good thing to over vaccinate our pets.
We love our puppy and do not want to give up on him. We wait and see.